Book Title: Design Alchemy: Transforming the way we think about learning and teaching (Educational Communications and Technology: Issues and Innovations)
Author: Roderick Sims
The promise of online learning--flexible, learner-centered, responsive--was forward-looking and poised to revolutionize education. But too often online learning courses have little room for student engagement and their design does not reflect the potential for interactive and collaborative learning.
Design Alchemy counters this trend by synthesizing the art and science of educational design to model a whole that transcends the sum of its parts. Challenging yet accessible,
it clearly sets out steps for harnessing innovative strategies and designer creativity to provide educational platforms that reduce learner boredom and instructor burnout, and encourage deeper interaction with subject matter. Activities, assessment methods, and sample course materials are designed toward improving quality, embracing diversity, and adapting positively to change. And the book's palette of resources enables readers to effectively apply the principles in their own practice:
- The evolution of Design Alchemy in the context of online learning.
- Alignment with core theories and practice models.
- The framework: elements of pedagogy and components of practice.
- Case studies showing Design Alchemy in real-world learning.
- Tools, templates, and a sample syllabus.
- The Design Alchemy Manifesto, summarizing key ideas.
Researchers and practitioners in technology and education will look to Design Alchemy as a transformative work to help make the most of student potential, learning opportunities, and their own professional growth.